Minutes of the Long Cove Point Association
Board of Directors Meeting
June 21, 2021
1. Call to Order
The virtual meeting was called to order at 1:30 pm by John Mulcahy, Chairperson and President. Present in addition to John were Elizabeth Vercoe (Secretary), Mark Jones (Treasurer), Kevin Conway, Tim Peele, and Bonnie Potter.
2. Approval of Minutes for Board Meeting
The minutes for the meeting on April 10, 2021were approved.
3. Treasurer's Report (Mark Jones)
a. 233 renewals received to date with three additional ones not yet processed.
b. Charitable donations to date are high: $3,205.
1. Current Checking: $11,806
2. Current Capital: $14,736
c. Mark said there would be a quarterly report from the finance committee in advance of the annual meeting.
4. Committee Reports
a. Membership (Claire Mocarski, chair)
1. There are 11 new membership applications to date.
2. Clarification of lapsed membershp policy
-The Board had agreed that lapsed members in 2020 would be required to pay the missed dues but not the $50/member penalty for the lapse.
Discussion was about confusion about this policy as stated on membership forms. Mark and John will review this and the policy.
b. Social Committee (Catherine and Chris Gram)
1. Review of proposed calendar
Volunteers have come forward to help the Grams since they are only doing setups this summer. Need for head person for each event.
The Klondike bar events will continue at a cost of about $30 for each event.
2. Lobster Dinner prices and procedures
a. The board voted to accept the Grams' suggestion for price increases to cover higher costs: $30 for 2 lobsters/$20 for 1/$10 for chicken
b. To ease the hassle of late reservations, the board voted to require a one week deadline for both reservations and checks.
c. Bridge Committee Ginny Conway reported to John that the club is currently not planning to meet but that situation may change.
d. Tennis (Martha Hebert, chair)
1. The net was put up in early April with some early use of the court.
2. Triples are underway with about 12 at each of the first two games. Triples will continue until Labor Day.
3. There has been good participation in both men's and women's tennis.
4. Clinic interest has been limited but is increasing.
5. Tennis emails now go only to those who have signed up for yourcourts.com, but Martha will follow up to catch anyone missing emails.
6. Martha contacts all new members to inquire about their interest in tennis.
7. The budget for tennis is $1000 and seems adequate. There wll be the yourcourts fee of $165 coming up and a need for new triples balls.
e. Archive Committee (no report)
f. House Committee (Amy Rolfe, chair)
1. Amy has agreed to take over chairing the committee after Kit.
2. There are 16 new folding chairs.
g. Yoga is proceeding as scheduled.
5. Other Business
a. Pest control update: meeting scheduled for Tuesday.
b. The board voted to have another virtual annual meeting this year..
c. The board voted to delay the distribution of charitable gifts until the end of the season (unlike last year).
d. The board voted to recommend a membership fee increase of $10 to the membership of the annual meeting because of anticipated repair costs..
e. The proposed slate of new board members is: Claire Mocarski, Carol Kirby, and Marcia Kagan.
f. The purchase of an AED will be put to another vote of the membership because of new concerns about training people for its use and liability.
g. Club rental update: one wedding (7/21) and a memorial service (7/17). The board voted not to charge for memorial services for members.
g. Discussion of ongoing issues of noise and heat at club dinners: Tim will look into an inexpensive fan for the storage room doorway.
The meeting was adjourned at 2:30 pm