Minutes of the Long Cove Point Association
Board of Directors Meeting
August 20, 2016
LCPA Club House

1. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at 9:10 by John Mulcahy, Chairman. Present were members Anne Bullis, Jack Campbell, Kevin Conway (Treasurer), Doug Craig, Seymour Kagan, Tim Peele, Kit Reno (President), and Elizabeth Vercoe (Secretary) plus Ginny Conway (Nominating Committee) and Linda Mullin (Membership Committee). John noted the passing of Harold Small this week.

2. Approval of Minutes

The minutes for the June 25, 2016 Board of Directors Meeting were approved.

3. Treasurer's Report (Kevin Conway)

The treasurer reported that there is a total of $14,985 in the club account plus $1,400 in savings. Membership dues in 2016 amounted to $8,895 with $450 in initiation fees, about $350 less than in 2015. Tennis fees came to $2,005, about the same as last year. There were $1,330 in voluntary contributions but only $400 in club rentals compared to $1,150 in 2015. The rummage sale run by the tennis committee and tennis members was very successful, netting $2,220.75.

Expenses this season were: $515.19 for the new ping pong table (with the balance of the total cost of $1,573.18 from contributions), $900 plus electrician costs for the new projector, and $511.83 for the barbecue (with $100 in donations for guests),

A motion was made and seconded and the report approved.

4. Committee Reports:

a. Tennis Report (Kit Reno)

The board commended Anne Bullis and Kit Reno for revitalizing tennis activity this season. Kit Reno reported that there were about 40 people at the first Tennis Social and Scramble and that there are new posts installed for the tennis net. Tennis clinics this summer have been on Wednesdays from 5 to 7 (one hour for youngsters and one hour for adults) with an additional clinic on Mondays. The cost to participate in a clinic is $10.

A discussion of liability issues led to the suggestion that Kit request that tennis instructor, Michael Blake, take note and notify players of proper footwear and court conditions to prevent accidents. Anne Bullis will discuss the patching of cracks in the court with Bill Perry who is planning a repair day. Kit suggested that the club purchase rocking chairs for the porch to replace the plastic chairs there, but the board decided to postpone the purchase due to more pressing expenses.

b. Membership (Linda Mullin, Chair)

Reminders for unpaid dues have been sent with one response. There was a discussion of conflicting membership lists and at what point an unpaid member is dropped from the list with a concensus that the name is not dropped for at least another season after which initiation fees for reinstatement would be due. Discussion of new members' privileges led to the suggestion that new memberships be approved at the beginning of the annual meeting so that new members can vote on issues at their first annual meeting. Kit Reno agreed to implement this order for the 2017 annual meeting.

c. Audit Report (none needed at this meeting.)

d. Nominating Committee (Ginny Conway)

The one Board of Directors position expiring in 2017 is Jack Campbell's.

e. Social Committee (Chris and Catherine Gram, Co-Chairs)

Attendance and cost of Music Night led to the suggestion that there be a review of future plans for Music Night with a view to lowering the cost and achieving a higher attendance. The board also suggested setting an earlier date for the wine and cheese social and swapping the lobster dinner to August and the barbecue to July. Another suggestion was to introduce new members and guests at the first club dinner of the season.

After discussion of club vandalism this year, the board decided to keep the club doors locked until May 15 and keep the ping pong table inside until June 15. Kit Reno will make a sign for the table.

Yoga fees were discussed and a direct approach suggested in order make payment by non-members a requirement instead of a suggestion when a yoga instructor is present. A motion was made and approved to pay the yoga instructor $60 a session plus non-member fees for eight sessions in July and August next summer. (The two additional weekly meetings are without an instructor and free for members.)

f.. Archive Committee (Anne Bullis, no report this meeting)

g. House Committee (Jack Campbell)

Jack Campbell reported that the alarms and smoke detectors have been repaired. He added that the emergency lights have batteries that must be recharged each year. Tim Peele suggested a large exhaust fan to make the club more comfortable on hot nights and Jack will check out feasibility and costs. The trees behind the club have been trimmed. Chlorine tablets have been purchased and added to the system. There was some discussion of ongoing grinding sounds in the dishwasher.

Kit Reno suggested the shuffleboard lines be painted again and she will purchase new address numbers for display on the club.

5. Chairman's Report (John Mulcahy)

There was extensive discussion about replacing the overboard system with a Fuji Clean system at a cost of about $20,000. The system can be installed next to the club house and flush with the ground. Our current variance is good for another 3 years at the end of which a new septic treatment system will likely be required. Seymour Kagan suggested a capital fund of about $10,000 for each of the next three years to cover the overboard replacment (about $20,000), the handicap accessible bathroom renovation (about $5,000), and resurfacing the 2013 tennis court in about 2020 (costing about $7,000). Various suggestions arose such as raising the dues, considering a bank loan, making an assessment for each club member, and considering requesting voluntary contributions by members. Kevin Conway, Jack Campbell, and Sy Kagin will meet as a subcommittee by October to solidify estimated costs and formulate suggestions about how to proceed so the board can present proposals to the next annual meeting. Kit Reno will write about the looming costs in the spring newsletter to the membership.

The board approved the distribution of $2,800 in charitable contributions (down from $3,340 in 2015):

Food Pantry           $750
CHIP                     $500
First Responders    $800
Bristol Library        $150
Historical Society    $100
Community Energy  $500

Carpenter ants were found behind the kitchen and a pest control company is coming to estimate the cost of treatment. There was discussion about making a bathroom handicap accessible with a cost of $2,269 estimated for shower removal, a new sink and fixtures, and a high-rise toilet. Carpentry work (wall move and new door) is estimated at $2,800 for a total of about $5,000.

The board approved $770 for tennis costs for 2017. There are 95 folding chairs in the club, 44 badly rusted. The board approved the purchase of 8 new folding chairs per year for the next 3 years (costing about $120/year) to replace the rusted ones.

The new telephone service will be suspended at the end of the season.

The meeting was adjourned at noon.

Elizabeth Vercoe
Secretary